Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Avocado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/4 inches thick and 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
- Rub both sides of steak with oil; sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, beans, green onions, cilantro, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt; gently stir in avocado. Cut steak into slices; serve with bean mixture.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 328 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 8g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Jul 9, 2017
Fantastic ! I cut up steak into smaller pieces to begin with, added 1 more Avocado and left overs made a phenomenal Burrito with a few eggs scrambled with the same creole seasoning ! Cant wait to try it with chicken!
Jul 9, 2015
We just finished eating this. I greatly enjoyed the bean salad especially. Ate half of it straight from the bowl. I did sub red onion for green onions.
Apr 19, 2015
So good... we made this several times last summer and am planning to make it again soon!
Nov 16, 2014
This is a great summer recipe, but it also works well when the grills are put away for the year. A little lime juice on the 'salsa' tastes good. There are some good commercial Creole seasonings, but homemade works well, too.
Aug 12, 2014
Quick yummy week night dinner! We loved it!
Aug 7, 2014
Quick and yummy. Served with crusty bread. My husband requested I make it again soon. Might be good with red pepper and some lime juice. Serves 4-5 for sure.
Jul 3, 2014
Simple and delicious! The steak is perfectly seasoned and the salad is a light, fresh complement. I agree that 12 servings would be a stretch. I made this for my family of 4, and I think there is one serving leftover. My preschool children enjoyed the meat and the salad as well.
Jun 25, 2014
This recipe was good. I thoroughly enjoyed the bean salad. One thing I noticed is it says this recipe serves 12. I'm not sure how a 1.5 pound steak feeds 12. That needs adjusted to 4-5 servings. Otherwise, great meal.
Jun 17, 2014
We really enjoyed this recipe. It was easy, fairly healthy and tasty. As suggested by a previous reviewer I added minced garlic to the salad and also on the steak. I felt like there was something missing from the salad but I cannot put my finger on exactly what that would be. Overall, a nice recipe for a weeknight summer dinner.
Jun 9, 2014
This recipe was simple and quick and most importantly, delicious! I added mango to the salad and it sweetened the salad up just a bit. Yum!!