Roasted Pepper and Onion Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 8 onion slices (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 jars (7 ounces each) roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place onion slices in a 13x9-in. baking pan. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, oregano and garlic; brush half over the onions. Set remaining dressing aside.
- Bake onions, uncovered, at 375° for 10 minutes or until tender. Add red peppers; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Meanwhile, slice bread in half lengthwise, then cut into fourths. Carefully hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Place bread, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until toasted. Layer with onions, red peppers and cheese on bottom halves of bread. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with remaining bread.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 542 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 978mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
May 29, 2012
Oh my goodness, this was absolutely delicious! I ate it for three meals straight, I couldn't get enough of it. This recipe is easy and fun to tweak too - once I added feta and fresh baby spinach, which went well with the original ingredients. Next time I will try adding sliced tomato and fresh basil. As a vegetarian, I thank you so much for contributing this fabulous recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.