Ham & Swiss Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 18 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick), divided
- 1/2 cup stone-ground mustard
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Warm maple syrup, optional
- Pour 1/4 cup butter into a 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. Spread both sides of bread with mustard. Arrange nine slices in baking dish.
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, mushrooms and garlic in remaining butter until mushrooms are tender. Add the onions; cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute longer. Spoon over bread; sprinkle with cheese. Arrange remaining bread on top. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in parsley; pour over bread.
- Place dish in a larger baking pan. Fill larger pan with hot water to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 325° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 858 calories, 69g fat (41g saturated fat), 415mg cholesterol, 1152mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 24, 2015
I make the Kings Hawaiian bread version of this recipe. I make it several times a month. Nutmeg is my secret ingredient with most ham dishes including this one. It really makes a difference. If bread (or rolls) are fresh...cut into 1" CUBES AND TOAST IT FOR 8-10 minutes in 350 F oven.
Sep 18, 2012
This recipe is very good, but I made some changes: No butter, I used non-stick spray for the pan. I didn't saute the ham, garlic and onions; I just chopped it up and put it in the casserole. I swapped out fresh spinach for the mushrooms. And I used egg substitute. It needed to bake a good 30 minutes longer than the recipe called for. The surprise is the taste of a hearty mustard with the lightness of the bread pudding. Great recipe and it's nice to have something new for dinner.