Ham & Swiss Baked Penne
As a kid I loved to the hot ham and Swiss sandwiches from a local fast-food restaurant. With its melty, gooey goodness, this bake makes me think of them. —Ally Billhorn, Wilton, Iowa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir in Swiss and Colby cheeses until melted. Add ham and pasta; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients; sprinkle over pasta. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 559 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 905mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Ham & Swiss Baked Penne in Simple & Delicious October/November 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.