Tomato, Sausage & Cheddar Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first eight ingredients. Stir in bread. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In the same bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper; pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 430 calories, 32g fat (18g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 25, 2018
I'm so sorry, I did not like this dish. will not be making it again and will probably have to throw the remaining away. I usually love all your recipes. I'm not sure what went wrong.
Aug 25, 2017
We liked this but found the brown sugar to be very overpowering. Perhaps I packed it in too tightly. Next time I'm going to back off on that. I feel like it could have used more tomatoes as well, so I'll increase that next time. I didn't have the full amount of heavy cream, so supplemented it with whole milk and it seemed fine. Since I cut the recipe in half, I put it in the oven for 20 minutes, but found that the outer edges were getting brown and the middle was still very gooey. I put aluminum foil over top and put it back in for about 9 minutes. I think that was a good done-ness. Overall, I'd try this recipe again, but I'd change a few things to make it more tasty for us.Update: I tried making this again tonight, but for some reason it would NOT set. It was just mush. I cooked it for an hour and it was still quite mushy. I have no idea what went wrong. It's not my oven because I made dessert in it afterwards and that turned out fine.
May 30, 2014
Delicious! The only things I did different were not to use the green onions (we don't care for them) and then use part heavy cream and part milk because I was using up some leftover cream I had
Dec 16, 2013
Excellent! We love it. 4 of us ate the whole pan in one setting!
Feb 19, 2013
Made this for my family as well as a church event, substituting the cream for fat-free half and half and everyone loved it!
Nov 29, 2012
This has a perfect mixture of flavors. The first time I made it, immediatly after I took my first bite, I knew I would be making it again. It is one of my favorite recipes :)
Nov 18, 2012
Tasty, but too Paula Deanish for our family.
Sep 30, 2012
This dish is delicious. My family loved it. I took some leftovers to my mother and my brothers were there visiting. They all tried it an loved it. Had to give them the reciepe. Will make again. You can have it as a dinner with a salad or breakfast and pancakes as my mother had it. Wonderful!!!