Ham and Broccoli Cornbread
Leftovers haunt me. Often nobody wants to eat them, and I hate to see them go to waste. A cornbread casserole is an excellent way to leverage many combinations of leftover meat and veggies into new exciting meals that everyone will love. —Fay Moreland, Wichita Falls, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) cornbread/muffin mix
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place 3 tablespoons butter in a 12-in. cast-iron skillet; place pan in oven until butter is melted, 3-5 minutes. Carefully tilt pan to coat bottom and sides with butter.
- Melt remaining butter. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sour cream, cayenne pepper and melted butter until blended. Add muffin mixes; stir just until moistened. Fold in remaining ingredients. Pour into hot pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 338 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 700mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Sep 20, 2019
OK recipe. The ratio of meat and vegetables to bread was not as I expected. If I made this recipe again I would omit the ham and serve this bread with soup or chili.