Caramelized Ham & Swiss Buns
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (18 ounces) Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 1/2 cup horseradish sauce
- 3/4 pound sliced deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Spread cut side of roll bottoms with horseradish sauce. Layer with ham and cheese; replace tops. Arrange in a single layer in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over rolls. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 315 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 555mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 13, 2019
What other meat would work for these,they look so good. My daughter is allergic to Ham. thanks
Aug 22, 2019
I have made these often for potlucks at work and often get asked for the recipe. I usually put a tiny bit more ham on each bun, and tend to go lighter on the horseradish so it doesn't overpower everything.
Jul 19, 2019
I made these for another family and didn't get the opportunity to taste them myself. My rating is based on their report of the sandwiches being "very good".
Jul 17, 2019
I do not prefer horseradish sauce at all. Anyone have any suggestions for what to use instead? Garlic butter, maybe? Honey mustard?
Apr 26, 2019
These sandwiches are the BEST. Only problem is you need to plan ahead since the sandwiches need to refrigerate for several hours before baking. However just a small inconvenience .
Apr 19, 2019
We had these at church at a luncheon and they were a huge hit
Apr 18, 2019
These are SO DELICIOUS!! I don't care for horseradish so I skip that part but otherwise I keep it the same. I made it for our Christmas Eve buffet and it was a real hit.
Apr 1, 2019
I made these for a recent finger foods potluck and they were delicious. They are very easy to make. I used creamy horseradish and that and the slightly sweet topping really made them something special.
Feb 4, 2019
Easy and delicious!
Oct 29, 2018
Made these for the family and they were gone in no time! I added a little mayo to the horseradish sauce and omitted the poppy seeds because I was out of them. The glaze was yummy and really made the sliders. Refrigerated them in the morning and baked them later that day. This is great party fare - will definitely make again!