Homemade Potato Chips
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + soaking Cook: 5 min./batch
- 7 unpeeled medium potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 quarts ice water
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Using a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut potatoes into very thin slices. Place in a large bowl; add ice water and salt. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes; place on paper towels and pat dry. In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, celery salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry potatoes in batches until golden brown, 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Immediately sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 176 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 703mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 14, 2018
Totally agree with the others super easy and so tasty. I fried mine twice. Best if eaten right away. And lightly season while hot. Do not skip the cold water soak. That's what makes these so crisp. Toh-VFE.
Jun 7, 2018
This is AWESOME! Easy, quick and delicious. Even my picky eater enjoyed. For those who know Zaxby’s, try these and save your money!
Jun 4, 2018
These crispy chips couldn't be easier to make. Loved the seasoning!
Jun 2, 2018
Excellent! I used a mandolin to slice the potatoes extra thin. I hesitated to use the spice mix, but went ahead with it and was very glad that I did.
Aug 10, 2015
These were a big crunchy hit! I used my deep fryer and it worked great.
Aug 18, 2011
electric wok worked great too