Ham & Swiss Chicken Roll-Ups
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 4 hours
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 6 thin slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Top each piece with a slice of ham and cheese. Roll up tightly; secure with toothpicks. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Roll chicken in flour mixture; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, brown roll-ups in oil on all sides; transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soup and wine or broth; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is longer pink. Remove roll-ups and stir sauce. Discard toothpicks. Serve with rice. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken roll-up and sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or milk if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 286 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 867mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2018
Excellent recipe! I didn’t have time to leave them in the refrigerator for an hour before browning, and they still turned out delicious! Super easy, and I didn’t change a thing.
Feb 16, 2017
Anything I can make in a slow cooker is a good dinner to me! This chicken turned out great. Just put it in the crockpot and let it go. Big hit with my family!
Dec 28, 2016
garyzee, No where does the recipe say it's Saltimbocca. It's called HAM & SWISS CHICKEN ROLL UPS!!!!! Why are you people so critical of these recipes??? I've made similar dishes like this and whatever the name, the recipe is delicious. You want to lighten it up or use less salt, then do it, but why criticize everything?
Dec 5, 2016
Made it the first time with some ham I had in the 'fridge....it was a honey roasted ham. I liked the recipe so much (no thanks to this ham) That I made it again, changing nothing but the ham to a fresh black forest from the Deli and wow amazing how just changing the ham made such a difference. Very nice thank you for sharing your recipe
Dec 18, 2015
This was very good I felt the flavor was a little bland so I added some fresh herbs. I added chopped sage thyme and rosemary. My guests loved it. ,!,
Aug 4, 2015
I have made this many times in the past. My husband and I both love it. Only change I make is I use provolone cheese instead of swiss since I don't like swiss.
May 27, 2015
This is delicious. I used chicken tenders, sharp cheddar cheese, made my own cream of garlic soup instead of using the canned soup and used chicken broth. It was fantastic with mashed potatoes.
Feb 18, 2014
I changed some items. Used turkey ham, used provolone cheese, used olive oil, no soup, cooked in oven instead. Served with pasta with olive oil insstead of rice.
Mar 11, 2012
<p>Whoever the chef is for this recipe should know better-it is not Saltimbocca unless there is sage with a white wine reduction sauce. No deli ham, no swiss cheese. It should be prosciutto and provolone, definitely no parmesan cheese, no cream of chicken. The photo's chicken looks thicker than 1/4". The only thing correct about this recipe is that it is rolled.</p>
Jan 2, 2012
I am not a ham eater but in this recipe it gives it such a good taste. Make sure to pound the chicken out thin, I did not and it was a challenege to roll. I would definatly make this again.