Homemade Corned Beef
Here's a recipe you've gotta plan for, but you don't need to do much work to get this deli-quality corned beef. —Nick Iverson, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 3 hours
- 1 gallon water
- 1-1/2 cups kosher salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup mixed pickling spices, divided
- 4 teaspoons pink curing salt #1
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 oven roasting bags
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- In a large stockpot, combine water, kosher salt, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons pickling spices, pink curing salt and garlic. Bring to a simmer, stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.
- Place 1 large oven roasting bag inside another. Place brisket inside inner bag; pour in cooled brine. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible; turn to coat meat. Refrigerate 10 days, turning occasionally to keep meat coated. Remove brisket from brine; rinse thoroughly. Place in a Dutch oven with water to cover. Add carrots, onions, celery and remaining pickling spices. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, adding water if necessary to keep brisket covered, until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
- Serve warm or cool. Slice brisket thinly and serve in a sandwich or with additional vegetables simmered until tender in cooking liquid.
- To make ahead: Refrigerate meat in cooking liquid for several days; reheat in liquid.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked corned beef: 277 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1252mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Corned Beef in How To January_March 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.