Corned Beef Potato Dinner
For St. Patrick's Day, I usually prepare this dish instead of the traditional corned beef dinner. This takes less time because it makes good use of the microwave...and it's very tasty. -Brooke Staley Mary Esther, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into small wedges
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 8 ounces thinly sliced deli corned beef, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes and water in a 3-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover; microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until potatoes are crisp-tender. Add the onion; cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in the coleslaw mix. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, saute corned beef in oil for 3-4 minutes; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until heated through. Add to the potato mixture; toss to combine. Cover and microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 216 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 1040mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Corned Beef Potato Dinner in Taste of Home February/March 2004
Mar 31, 2008
I'm normally not a fan of any corned beef, yet I tried this meal for St. Patty's 2008 and loved it. It was so easy and quick. The only thing I'd change would be to reduce the vinegar from 1/3 to 1/4 cup.