Corned Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 12 ounces shredded deli corned beef
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 30 sliced rye bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Thousand Island salad dressing, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, sauerkraut, corned beef and Swiss cheese. Spread over 15 slices of bread, about 1/3 cup on each; top with remaining bread. Lightly butter the outside of sandwiches. Toast on a hot griddle for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with Thousand Island dressing if desired.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 6, 2018
These sandwiches are great! I made them with diced leftover corned beef. I used the shredded Swiss cheese, but next time I will use pepperjack. I think the extra "kick" will be good. Joyce Moynihan Volunteer Field Editor.
Mar 23, 2013
Fine sandwich but this is NOT a corned beef special. A true New York or Philly deli style corned beef special is made thusly: 2 slices of really good rye bread schmeared with russian dressing, a generous layer of cole slaw, and thinly sliced corned beef, piled HIGH (anywhere from 2 to 4 inches). No cheese. No sauerkraut. Anything else is just NOT a corned beef special.
Jan 20, 2013
Was great with pepper jack cheese and mustard added also.
Mar 20, 2011
I made this years ago.. it is FANTASTIC!!! I of course love horseradish and added fresh horseradish from my back yard. I add the Thousand Island Right to the mix and since I don't like rye, I use other breads. But this mix is so fantastic that even my children like it and they don't care for sauerkraut!!!! If you love Reubens you'll probably love this too!