Classic Irish Soda Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, divided use
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk together 1 egg and buttermilk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in raisins.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Shape into a 6-1/2-in. round loaf; place on a greased baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, make a shallow cross in top of loaf. Whisk remaining egg; brush over top.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 210 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 463mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 29, 2018
I found the bread's direction easy to follow. The bread came out beautiful and delicious.
May 1, 2018
I made this for the first time, and it is delicious! It is similar to a scone, not too sweet. I added a combination of raisins and dried cranberries. I did not put the egg wash on the top, yet it came out a beautiful golden color. Will definitely make again.
Apr 14, 2018
Very good. Blended dry ingredients and butter in food processor and transferred to mixing bowl. It came out as pretty as the picture and very easy. We must like it as this is the second time I have made it in two weeks!
Mar 12, 2018
Just in time for our St. Patrick's day meal! Very tasty. Will try it next time with some of the changes others suggested.
Apr 4, 2017
Hi Robert,The pan in question is the sheet pan you baked the free form loaf of bread on.Hope that helps!Sue StetzelTaste of Home Magazine
Mar 26, 2017
There is one very important element missing from the recipe, the 9 inch, round, spring pan. We are instructed in this recipe to place the kneaded loaf on to a baking sheet. When the bread is finished baking in the oven, we are then instructed to remove the bread from the pan and place it on wire rack. So, it seems to me the necessary step of putting the kneaded loaf into a greased pan before placing in the heated oven must be included in this recipe.
Apr 6, 2016
This is a perfect soda bread recipe. It is not supposed to have a kick, it is meant to be served and eaten with an Irish Stew for instance (with or without raisins) or served at tea time with some clotted cream. It is great with many foods. : )
Mar 27, 2016
It's okay, not great. I'd avoid the egg on the top and brush it with butter instead.
Mar 20, 2016
I made this for St. Patrick's Day ! Super easy and very tasty ! It is perfect toasted as well . The raisins & the brown sugar at a good amount of sweetness .
Mar 18, 2016
use 3 tblsp b sugar, 1 tblsp caraway seeds, 1 cup raisins