Irish Soda Bread Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and caraway seeds. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, butter and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in currants.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 235 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 9, 2020
I made these this morning. My husband loved them. I doubled the recipe so I could freeze some. Used raisins rather than currants.
Feb 8, 2020
Love having a recipe for Soda bread in muffin form. These are tasty and so easy to put together. Will make them again for St. Patrick's Day meal!
Feb 7, 2020
Thanks to this recipe, I discovered that I don't really like caraway seeds! The muffin texture was amazing, but next time, I'll skip on adding in the caraway seeds.
Mar 11, 2018
I've had trouble finding currants too, but SUCCESS last night! Look for them in the candy section of your grocery -- the section where candies, nuts, etc. are packaged by the store. Usually this is next to the produce section. Apparently the company that used to market currants in boxes and stocked them in the bakery section with the raisins has gone out of business.
Mar 2, 2018
I used dried cranberries because I couldn't find the currants, and I sprinkled the top with turbinado (raw) sugar instead of regular. Love the texture and flavor of these! They were a big hit with everyone.
Mar 3, 2016
I love this recipe! Easy, delicious, and plenty of room for improvising. I teach middle school cooking classes and this is a fantastic recipe for aspiring chefs. Definitely a keeper.
Mar 22, 2014
WOW! These were fantastic! Left out caraway seeds and used craisins . It was wonderful! I used an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin tin and the result was 12 perfect muffins! this will surely be requested often by the family.
Mar 17, 2014
LOVE THESE MUFFINS, EASY TO MAKE, I LOVE CARAWAY SEEDS SO I INCREASED THE CARAWAY SEEDS TO 3 TSP. THEY WERE A BIG HIT WITH THE FAMILY AND CO=WORKERS.
Mar 16, 2014
Delicious! I've tried making soda bread before and no one in my family liked it. This muffin version came out great though. I didn't have buttermilk, so used plain greek yogurt with a splash of milk to thin it. I skipped the caraway seeds and used raisins for the fruit. Just to impress the kids for St. Patrick's Day, I decided to be cheesy and put green sugar on top.
Mar 12, 2014
These tasted great and were easy to make.