Best Irish Soda Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 loaves (8 slices each)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins or 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 5-6 times.
- Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a round loaf. Place 6 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 255 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 15, 2019
I feel recipe needs more of a wet ingredient. Too dry, crumbly, hard to knead together. Tried really hard not to overwork the dough but couldn't get a ball formed properly...not enough moisture. I added a wee bit more buttermilk. It helped. The final product was ok, not as tender as I hoped.
Mar 15, 2017
Just made this and it is delicious! I thought I had followed the recipe exactly, but after pulling these beautiful loaves out of the oven, I realized I had totally forgotten the butter. And it still looks and tastes great, so now I can have twice as much. :-)
Mar 6, 2017
Mar 2, 2016
My family gave this recipe rave reviews. We all agreed it was much moister and rich compared to the Irish soda breads I had purchased from the grocery store. I followed the recipe as it was written, but it did not look like the picture. It ended up having deep crevices on top of the loaves. It took a little longer than I had hoped to completely moisten the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. So I was wondering if that might have caused the cracks. I would appreciate any suggestions as we will be making this bread again and again!
Mar 19, 2014
Best ever recipe it has just a taste of caraway seeds which give it that extra flavor. It's also very moist!