Best Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 bacon strips
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Combine the milk, eggs and Worcestershire sauce; mix into the beef mixture. Add crumbs.
- Grease a large sheet of foil. Place bacon on foil. Mold meat mixture into a loaf and place over bacon. Seal foil tightly around loaf. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place wrapped loaf on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Open foil; drain juices. Combine sauce ingredients and spoon over loaf. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 394 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 1094mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Sep 26, 2017
I love this recipe! I've been using it since 1995 when it first appeared in Taste of Home magazine. It has been our family meatloaf recipe ever since. The blend of spices is just perfect. (I don't use the sauce recipe, though. I generally cover the meatloaf with ketchup or ketchup mixed with jelly.) After 22 years, this is definitely what you call a keeper!
Apr 21, 2015
Love this recipe! First try we skipped the beef and used ground turkey and everyone loved it. Delicious with ground beef too! We used a mini loaf pan for portion control AND I find the smaller loaves cook better without drying out. YUMMY!
Sep 21, 2014
This is the best meatloaf recipe. Everyone enjoys the favor. I always make two and freeze one (uncooked) for another time.
Jul 24, 2013
My boyfriend is a big fan of meatloaf so I'm always trying different recipes. He really liked this one. I cut the recipe in half and used a few different spices because I didn't have everything on hand. It was very flavorful. I used turkey bacon because that's what I had on hand, I don't recommend that. It didn't get crispy at all and tinted the bottom a pinkish color. I pan fried leftover pieces, those were much better. Bacon crisped up nicely.-volunteer field editor
Nov 4, 2012
This was the worst meatloaf that I have ever made! Don't you test these recipes?? I threw over half of it away! What a waste!!
Aug 28, 2011
Added a little more onion, and used 1 and 1/2 lb beef, 1/2 lb pork. Family loved it!
Jun 28, 2011
My Family loved this recipe . We will make this recipe again . So easy and quick to prepare and so nice to come home from work and just pop it in the oven .- Denise St Laurent . Medicine Hat Alberta Canada
Apr 1, 2011
This is truly a wonderfully flavored meatloaf. I have made this several times. There have been times when I have not had the bacon and this really doesn't make a difference. Sometimes I don't put the sauce on top either. The combination of spices sounds crazy but they marry well. Enjoy!
Jul 22, 2010
All in family loved this recipe.
Oct 10, 2009
did without brown sugar-all meat lovers in our household, sweet later.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.