Homemade Irish Soda Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups raisins
- 3 to 4 tablespoons caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine buttermilk and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Shape dough into a ball and place on a greased baking pan. Pat into a 7-in. round loaf. Cut a 4-in. cross about 1/4 in. deep on top to allow for expansion. Brush top with milk.
- Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 2, 2018
This bread has a wonderful flavor especially since I love caraway seeds and raisins. I did try to make this with a gluten free one for one flour only to find that I needed much more liquid and had to add 3 Tbsps of regular flour for the bread to hold together while kneading. I also found that the bread gets hard very quickly and will need to be warmed up to be eaten as leftovers.
Mar 1, 2017
excellent recipe- as i find I do not care for the caraway seed- I just eliminated it. I like it with craisens a lot too
Mar 17, 2016
Very good, moist. Well received at a gathering this evening.
Apr 22, 2012
Made this two years in a row and my friends and family devour it and I get asked for the recipe.
Mar 7, 2010
This is a keeper
Mar 10, 2008
I will make this for St Pat's day- thanks!
Mar 4, 2008
Sounds delicious. Something I would definitely try.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.