Apple Yeast Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Pour butter into a 9-in. square baking pan. Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Arrange apple slices in pan. Sprinkle with raisins.
- In a bowl, combine yeast, water, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour; beat for 1-2 minutes. Add egg, shortening and remaining flour. Beat for 1 minute. Drop dough by spoonfuls over apples. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until done. Invert pan on a serving platter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 282 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 15, 2015
Used this as a Christmas present. Quick and easy to make.
Aug 16, 2013
I needed something for a harvest gathering. This fit the bill nicely.I ended up cutting the apples in round slices. When mine was done it looked deceptively like pineapple upside-down cake. The taste was good and not overwhelmingly sweet like pinapple upside-down.This recipe is great! I did add some nutmeg to mine though.I'm gluten free but I had to try it anyway. I'll be looking for a way to make this with gluten free ingredients. Will definitely make again.