Favorite Cornmeal Yeast Bread
This bread goes very well with chili or any kind of soup. I think it makes a great combination on a cold winter day.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, egg, cornmeal, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into two loaves. Place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 93 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Cornmeal Yeast Bread in Country Extra January 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.