Grandma’s Oatmeal Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (8 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- In a small bowl, combine the boiling water, butter, salt and sugar. Stir in oats; cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the molasses, brown sugar and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in oat mixture and enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 247 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2016
Fantastic bread! So "homey" with the oatmeal and molasses flavor :-)
Feb 5, 2015
Can u make this with quick oats
Apr 27, 2014
Love this loaf! It is slightly sweet and flavorful. I have made it several times. Makes a great simple sandwich with a slice of room-temp artisan sharp cheddar (hey, I'm in WI!). Do be ready to be patient - the initial step, adding hot water to oatmeal, needs a fair bit of cooling time before proceeding
Oct 14, 2013
Good fresh with a bowl of soup.
Jun 16, 2013
I love this bread and have just made the 2nd batch, reminds me of bread when I was a kid, cooked in my New woodfired Gourmet Oven .....awesomely wholesome, Nick, New Zealand
Apr 10, 2013
Our granddaughter made this with her mom and it was a great hit with the family.