Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Additional oats
- In a large bowl, combine boiling water and oats; let stand until warm (110°-115°). In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add honey, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Shape into a loaf; place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with oats. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 128 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 8, 2015
This bread is amazing. I am older and can't knead bread very good any more, so I do this bread in the dough cycle of a bread machine. I have a loaf in the oven right now. I added a third of a cup of roasted sunflower seed to the dough this time. I like to brush the bread just before baking with a beaten egg mixed with a tablespoon of water and sprinkle oats on top. I have two loaves going right now. One for us and one for a gift. This is my husbands favorite bread.Recently I spent a month in Alaska with my daughter and grand children. I made this bread every week. Everyone loved it and begged for more. My daughter will be making this too.
Jun 11, 2013
Excellent homemade bread, moist and soft. I also used my bread machine making cinnamon raisins version. Added more water to the dough. Make 1 9-in x 5-in loaf. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. It turned out great too. I'll make this more often.
Mar 29, 2011
Just made this and it was great! I only had 2 1/2 cups flour TOTAL in the dough. I thought that was odd but any more it would have been way too stiff. It might have been the weather too. Really wet here today. And I baked it for 45 min. But 50 would have been perfect. I will be making this again and letting my clients know about this awesome loaf!
Mar 29, 2011
I used leftover oatmeal from breakfast and added just a little more liquid. It turned out excellent.
Feb 24, 2011
Perfect loaf...will make often.
Jun 22, 2010
We made it and it was great. Nice and soft, yet made a great sandwich. Yes I will make it often.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.