Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Additional oats
- In a large bowl, combine boiling water and oats; let stand until warm (110°-115°). In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add honey, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Shape into a loaf; place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with oats. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 128 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 8, 2015
This bread is amazing. I am older and can't knead bread very good any more, so I do this bread in the dough cycle of a bread machine. I have a loaf in the oven right now. I added a third of a cup of roasted sunflower seed to the dough this time. I like to brush the bread just before baking with a beaten egg mixed with a tablespoon of water and sprinkle oats on top. I have two loaves going right now. One for us and one for a gift. This is my husbands favorite bread.Recently I spent a month in Alaska with my daughter and grand children. I made this bread every week. Everyone loved it and begged for more. My daughter will be making this too.
Jun 11, 2013
Excellent homemade bread, moist and soft. I also used my bread machine making cinnamon raisins version. Added more water to the dough. Make 1 9-in x 5-in loaf. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. It turned out great too. I'll make this more often.
Mar 29, 2011
Just made this and it was great! I only had 2 1/2 cups flour TOTAL in the dough. I thought that was odd but any more it would have been way too stiff. It might have been the weather too. Really wet here today. And I baked it for 45 min. But 50 would have been perfect. I will be making this again and letting my clients know about this awesome loaf!
Mar 29, 2011
I used leftover oatmeal from breakfast and added just a little more liquid. It turned out excellent.
Feb 24, 2011
Perfect loaf...will make often.
Jun 22, 2010
We made it and it was great. Nice and soft, yet made a great sandwich. Yes I will make it often.