Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes4 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 4-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add oil, sugar, molasses, salt, wheat germ, bran and remaining warm water; mix well. Add oats, whole wheat flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and shape into four loaves. Place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 116 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 22, 2017
Excellent whole wheat bread. Light and fluffy crumb with a great taste. My husband hates whole wheat bread and couldn't leave this bread alone. Will definitely make this again.