Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes4 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 4-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add oil, sugar, molasses, salt, wheat germ, bran and remaining warm water; mix well. Add oats, whole wheat flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and shape into four loaves. Place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 116 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Mar 22, 2017
Excellent whole wheat bread. Light and fluffy crumb with a great taste. My husband hates whole wheat bread and couldn't leave this bread alone. Will definitely make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.