Applesauce Oat Bran Muffins
I sprinkle a tempting topping of cinnamon, sugar and walnuts on these moist bran muffins with applesauce. They're best served warm from the oven. —Beth Struble, Bryan, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the oat bran, flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray three-fourths full. Combine the walnuts, cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing form pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 156 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 15, 2010
Trying to use up my oat bran bought for another recipe I came across this. It is really tasty for a morning muffin and coffee. I also added mini chocolate chips for my extra sweet tooth!!