Soft Oatmeal Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf (2 pounds, 20 slices)
- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in foil and place in resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 127 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 25, 2017
I followed he recipe exactly. The only problem I had, was as soon as the bread machine started to bake, the bread completely sunk in the middle. It had risen beautifully and just sunk. I looked up reasons this might happen and found it could be too much liquid in the recipe? Anyone else have this experience? Next time I will bake it in the oven. The bottom half did come out nicely with a good cust and tastes really good. Will try just the dough cycle next time and bake in the oven.
Dec 17, 2014
This bread is so soft and delicious. As the dough was mixing, it looked a lot moister than my normal bread machine recipes. I think the oatmeal soaks up some of the moisture, so I didn't add a lot of extra flour while mixing.
Nov 14, 2014
anyone have this recipe for 1 lb loaf? should I just cut in half?
Nov 13, 2013
Oct 25, 2013
This bread is amazing! It's light and tasty, will definitely make again as it was enjoyed by all!
Oct 24, 2011
I've been looking for a recipe that suits my family of five and this one's a hit! It's moist and flavorful without overpowering the younger tastebuds.
Jan 15, 2011
Apr 21, 2010
This was the most moist bread I've ever made in a bread machine. I did not have white sugar so substituted brown sugar and it still came out well.
Sep 7, 2009
As good as this bread is, the TOH Maple Oatmeal Bread recipe is even better! If you like this, you ought to give that one a try.
Jul 23, 2009
We use our bread machine to make all our bread. We've tried a lot of different recipes, but this is by far our favorite bread to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.