Baked Apple Oatmeal
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- In a large saucepan, heat milk, brown sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon. Add remaining ingredients; mix gently.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. casserole. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 422 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.
Oct 18, 2011
I omitted the raisins and wheat germ, and used steel cut oats. The apples countered the bitterness of the oats, and I loved the crunchiness from the walnuts. So far, this is the best way I've found to use steel cut oats. It was easy to halve this recipe for a small casserole.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.