Gingerbread Oatmeal Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 131 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Sep 29, 2014
I have made this many times since 2007 and each time it is great. Smells like fall when baking and I get lots of requests for the recipe. When I don't have orange peel on hand....I add a couple of tablespoons of orange marmalade and it still turns out perfect.
Jun 11, 2013
Simply the best I have ever made in the bread machine!
Nov 4, 2011
This was a great recipe. I will be adding more ginger, and less cloves. The cloves seemed to take over the taste.
Nov 7, 2010
I've made this a couple of times already this fall. The bread has a nice subtle gingerbread and molasses flavor. We like to eat it fresh out of the breadmaker with butter and honey.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.