Rustic Oat Bran Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 wedges)
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oat bran, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a round loaf. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. With a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes across top of loaf.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 107 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Jan 7, 2014
I bought a rustic honey oat bran bread from the store that my kids really liked, and ran out during the polar vortex. I tried this recipe yesterday, (made the dough in my bread machine, then put it in a loaf pan) and everyone loved it. Making another today.
Jan 5, 2014
A yummy, low-fat bread. I put it in loaf pans.
Mar 31, 2011
We typically go for the light and crusty breads and I don't make too many from scratch but I wanted to try a heavier loaf to go with some chicken noodle soup tonight. This fit the bill. It was easy, used ingredients I had on hand, heavy, moist, not too large, had a hint of sweetness and everyone loved it. I will definately make it again. Thanks Nancy!
Sep 11, 2009
Oat bran is a hot cereal. It is with the oatmeal in the grocery stores.
Sep 11, 2009
is oat bran a flour or cereal?