Apple-Oat Bran Muffins
"I love how light and tasty these muffins are," writes Grace Bryant of Merritt Island, Florida. "I make the batter ahead of time and it keeps very nicely in the fridge."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2/3 cup grated apple
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg white, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 375° for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteFill empty muffin cups halfway with water before baking.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Apple Oatbran Muffins in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009