Almond Bran Muffins
Almond flavor takes center stage in these moist treats sent by Sandra Castillo. "I decided to make up my own version of bran muffins, and this recipe was the tasty result," explains the Sun Prairie, Wisconsin baker.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups All-Bran
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- In a bowl, combine the bran, milk, applesauce, butter and almond extract; let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl; stir in egg whites and bran mixture. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.