- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-bran cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in natural juice, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, dates or raisins
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Make a well in the center. Combine the egg, oil, molasses, buttermilk and pineapple with juice. Pour into well; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in the nuts, dates or raisins.
- Fill 18 greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° until golden brown, 12 minutes.
buttermilkTo substitute for each cup of buttermilk, use 1 Tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand 5 min. Or, use 1 cup plain yogurt or 1-3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk.
1 muffin: 151 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.