Best Bran Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-bran cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in natural juice, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, dates or raisins
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Make a well in the center. Combine the egg, oil, molasses, buttermilk and pineapple with juice. Pour into well; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in the nuts, dates or raisins.
- Fill 18 greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 151 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Sep 25, 2013
I think this is a lovely, moist muffin. It's not too sweet. I used raisins but nuts would be nice too, I'm sure. Mine made 15 nice-sized muffins. I'll freeze these and make this again.As an update the next day, these froze really well and my husband liked them and he's not usually a fan of bran muffins. I followed the recipe exactly and used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. A keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.