Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups bran flakes
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine bran flakes and boiling water; set aside.
- Whisk together flours, brown sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, applesauce and molasses; stir in bran mixture. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in blueberries, plums and almonds.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full. Drizzle with honey. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 155 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Aug 26, 2014
Very flavorful muffin. I also added a mashed banana, didn't have dried plums so I used dried cherries, did not add almonds or drizzle honey on top. Really good, try them, you will like them.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.