Almond Bran Muffins
- 1-3/4 cups All-Bran
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1. In a bowl, combine the bran, milk, applesauce, butter and almond extract; let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl; stir in egg whites and bran mixture. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray two-thirds full.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
1 each: 151 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Sep 7, 2011
These are delicious, tasty and moist, yet very healthy. Just what I was looking for!