I like to snack on apple slices slathered with almond butter. That's the flavor combo that inspired these muffins. Add a dash of almond extract to boost the nuttiness. —Kelly Alesso, Chicago, IL
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, almond butter, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in apple and 1/4 cup almonds.
- Fill 15 greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each muffin on high for 20-30 seconds or until heated through.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 168 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Apple Almond Butter Muffins in Simple & Delicious December/January 2016