- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Cinnamon sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in applesauce. Combine flour, baking soda and spices; stir into creamed mixture. If desired, fold in nuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
1 muffin: 224 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.