Apple Bran Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 24 standard-size muffins
- 2 large golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups All-Bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a skillet, saute apples in butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Combine cereal and water in a large bowl; stir in buttermilk, eggs, sugar, raisins and apples with butter. Combine dry ingredients; stir into apple mixture just until moistened. Refrigerate in a tightly covered container for at least 24 hours (batter will be very thick). Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 163 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 20, 2012
These were okay and I may make them again because everybody but me really liked them. I like more of a true bran muffin. I like using buttermilk and all the spices.
Jun 9, 2012
Yummy muffins.....nicely spiced and moist with all the little apple chunks. Letting the batter sit in the fridge for 24 hours makes the raisins so soft and good. I will definitely make them again!
Jan 16, 2012
Put 2 tbsp of either lemon juice or vinegar into a 2 cup glass measure and fill to the two cup line with milk. Let it set about 5 minutes and you'll have your buttermilk substitute!
Jan 16, 2012
I would like to try this recipe but I don't like buttermilk. Can regular milk be substituted. What do you suggest?
Jan 6, 2012
These high fiber muffins are unbelievable. I make them at least once a month. An excellant way to eat something delicious that is excellant for you.
Dec 16, 2008
These were very good!!!!! I would make them again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.