Apricot Oatmeal Muffins
"Our family enjoys all types of muffins, including this tempting apricot variety," informs Nelly Smees of Hopewell, Nova Scotia. "I like that they can be stirred together in a jiffy for a breakfast treat or anytime snack."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients. In anther bowl, combine the oats, apricots, butter and boiling water; stir until butter is melted. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in eggs, milk and orange zest if desired. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 183 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 28, 2009
I love these muffins. We like the apricots but I've used a variety of dried fruits with delicious results as well. Dried cherries, cranberries, or apples are good. Dried fruit mixes are also available and work very well.