Easy Oat Bran Muffins
When I want to make muffins in a hurry, this is the recipe I use. The oat bran cereal makes these easy to prepare, and the sweet dark molasses adds a rich flavor.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 cups uncooked oat bran cereal
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine cereal, brown sugar and baking powder. Combine egg, milk, molasses and oil; mix well. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 425° for 15-17 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in the pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteLook for oat bran cereal near the hot cereals or in the natural foods section.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 184 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Easy Oat Bran Muffins in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook