Banana Oat Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, bananas, brown sugar, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in pecans.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 180 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Mar 9, 2015
These weren't great. Pretty flat.
Jan 10, 2015
I made them with 1/4 c of real maple syrup and maybe a Tbsp or 2 of sugar. I also incorporated about 1-2 Tbsp of chia seeds into the batter, instead of nuts and sprinkled a few on top. I would make them again!
Nov 9, 2013
Very good and easy to make.
Jun 30, 2013
Very good! I used 1 whole egg instead of 2 egg whites and they turned out great.
Jan 24, 2012
Good muffins...turned out very well, although the bananas were less than wonderful and not as great-tasting. Will try again with better bananas!
Oct 12, 2010
This recipe came out ok. I used cinnamon applesauce instead of oil and left out the nuts. I added some dried cranberries, which was a nice touch of sweetness because the recipe doesn't contain much sugar. These are good for a quick breakfast on the run.
Sep 14, 2010
Excellent recipe! I changed it up a little by using unsweetened applesauce & adding a touch of blue agave sweetener. I also added a little vanilla extract and left out the pecans. I will defininately make this "healthier" version again. :)
Jun 15, 2010
May 27, 2009
I just tried the original recipe and it was great(i cut back on the cinnamon though. I thought it would overpower the banana flavor). I really like it.
May 15, 2008
For an even lower fat, more wonderful version ...Increase the oats to 1 1/4 cups, increase the baking powder to two tsps, leave out the pecans and sub sweetened applesauce for the oil ... each muffin should then have about 115 calories.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.