Banana Oat Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, bananas, brown sugar, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in pecans.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 180 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Mar 9, 2015
These weren't great. Pretty flat.
Jan 10, 2015
I made them with 1/4 c of real maple syrup and maybe a Tbsp or 2 of sugar. I also incorporated about 1-2 Tbsp of chia seeds into the batter, instead of nuts and sprinkled a few on top. I would make them again!
Nov 9, 2013
Very good and easy to make.
Jun 30, 2013
Very good! I used 1 whole egg instead of 2 egg whites and they turned out great.
Jan 24, 2012
Good muffins...turned out very well, although the bananas were less than wonderful and not as great-tasting. Will try again with better bananas!
Oct 12, 2010
This recipe came out ok. I used cinnamon applesauce instead of oil and left out the nuts. I added some dried cranberries, which was a nice touch of sweetness because the recipe doesn't contain much sugar. These are good for a quick breakfast on the run.
Sep 14, 2010
Excellent recipe! I changed it up a little by using unsweetened applesauce & adding a touch of blue agave sweetener. I also added a little vanilla extract and left out the pecans. I will defininately make this "healthier" version again. :)
Jun 15, 2010
May 27, 2009
I just tried the original recipe and it was great(i cut back on the cinnamon though. I thought it would overpower the banana flavor). I really like it.
May 15, 2008
For an even lower fat, more wonderful version ...Increase the oats to 1 1/4 cups, increase the baking powder to two tsps, leave out the pecans and sub sweetened applesauce for the oil ... each muffin should then have about 115 calories.