Buttermilk Bran Muffins
From Greenbush, Michigan, Anita Kay Brown shares these moist, sweet muffins with a decadent taste. She writes, “Over the years, I’ve altered the recipe to reduce sugar and fat. Even after the changes, they’re always a hit!”
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups raisin bran
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar blend
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a small bowl, combine All-Bran and 1 cup buttermilk; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in raisin bran; let stand 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, sugar blend, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, applesauce, oil and remaining buttermilk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in bran mixture.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.