Golden Raisin Bran Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, milk and egg. Stir in bran; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir in bran mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins (batter will be thick).
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 180 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 19, 2017
Such a treat to find a bran muffin recipe that is light and fluffy! Adding the nutmeg and ginger worked wonderfully, too :)
Jan 13, 2015
Most bran muffin recipes I've tried have made muffins that were very dense; these were surprisingly light and tender. (I only had about 3/4 cup All-Bran, so I made up the difference with ground flaxseed; I don't know if that accounts for the lighter texture.) I also substituted dried cranberries for the golden raisins, just a personal taste preference.
Nov 17, 2010
My son liked them - I thought they were a bit crumbly...but maybe I just got tired of cleaning up his high chair after he would eat one! :)
Jul 20, 2009
I tried a few recipes for raisin bran muffins. Took the advice of the other commenter and added ginger and nutmeg. They came out good. Lacks a little flavor, but so do all bran muffins. Good recipe.
Oct 22, 2008
These muffins were very good; however, the next time I make them, I will add a pinch of ginger and 1/4 tsp nutmug. Thanks for a great recipe!