English Muffin Bread Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm whole milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Grease two 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into the pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks. Slice and toast.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 111 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 1, 2020
My loaves are baking now. From the sight and smell I don't doubt it will be tasty. I wanted to share a way to handle sticky dough. If you use cooking spray on spoon, spatula or hands with sticky recipes it helps tremendously.
Aug 18, 2019
Guaranteed winner! Dough makes up fast and easily. Trickiest part is dividing the sticky dough into equal portions and spreading it in the loaf pans
Aug 1, 2019
Excellent recipe! I used my kitchenaid mixer and it did all the work. This is our favorite bread!
Jan 31, 2019
Follow up question: My dough was gummy, stuck to my hands and was difficult to split up and get into the pans. I could not use a spoon. Based on my description should I have used less flour so it was more moist and spoonable into the bread pans? Or Should I have used slightly more flour to make less sticky and more manageable?
Jan 11, 2019
Well idk where I went wrong but these turned out very badly. Took forever to bake and after almost an hour I pulled them out of the oven, still not done. The bread was very gummy. I can’t give any stars since I’m not sure where the problem is....need to keep trying....
Dec 28, 2018
This IS ABSOLUTELY the BEST English Muffin Bread I've ever made!! Not to mention it's so very easy, fast, and awesome tasting!! Since I don't always have milk available, I use Instant Dry Milk. And it Easily makes 3 -1 pound loaves of bread. No kneading , Just use mixer, which is great since my hands are somewhat arthritic.
Jun 27, 2018
I have been looking for a recipe for this Bread since our trips to Wisconsin and they made a great one. This one is terrific and I will continue making this.
Jun 7, 2018
Have been using this recipe for nearly 40 years, & sharing it for nearly 40 years! I have even mailed it from PA to Texas to friends that could no longer make it themselves. Great recipe & very easy to make!
Mar 5, 2018
Very good and easy to make!
Dec 29, 2017
My sister gave me the recipe that my mother passed down to her. Of all the recipes I've checked, this is exactly the same.I made 2 loaves today and it is delicious!The second loaf may not be in the freezer too long though..