Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 4 cups shredded Muenster cheese
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add the butter, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat egg and yolk; stir in cheese. Punch down dough; roll into a 16-in. circle.
- Place in a greased 10-in. cast-iron skillet or 9-in. round baking pan, letting dough drape over the edges. Spoon the cheese mixture into center of dough. Gather dough up over filling in 1-1/2-in. pleats. Gently squeeze pleats together at top and twist to make a topknot. Allow to rise 10-15 minutes.
- Brush loaf with egg white. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 273 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2018
I was so excited to make this bread. I did not have any problems with this dough. I had to use part horseradish cheddar cheese to get the correct amount. Family thought the bread was tasteless, even with the horseradish cheese. Just bread and gooey cheese. Will not make again.
May 14, 2017
I was beyond excited to find this recipe. My neighbor gave us a very large block of muenster. I have been baking scratch bread for 5 years now so I have developed enough skills and confidence to try new recipes. I have no idea what I did wrong. If anyone reads this and has any ideas, please, please, please let me know. I have read the recipe dozens of times as well as reviewed my actions. I did think it was a lot of butter, but I continued on... For some reason that eludes me, I couldn't get gluten to form. I barely got a slight stretch much less the desired "window pane" bread makers look for. The other 4 reviews are positive, but unfortunately no one mentioned any pitfalls that I might have fallen in to. Bottom line: I made a very, very dense disc, but the gooey cheese was great when warm. After that it was trash. My main lesson learned was to never try new recipes for my mother on Mother's Day.
Feb 25, 2017
This makes a great Lenten or meatless day meal for a family! Just dip slices in pasta sauce & enjoy!
Jan 11, 2011
I make this bread a few times a year. It is great!
Jan 13, 2010
My daughter made this for a New Year's Eve party. I'd give 10 stars!
Jan 10, 2010
This recipe is a family favorite now. The bread has a great density to it that balances well with the muenster cheese. For variety, we will sometimes add pepperoni to it and dip our slices in pizza sauce.