Cheddar English Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Cook: 20 min./batch
Makesabout 16 muffins
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and oil; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and vinegar; beat on high for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until dough is smooth and no longer sticky, about 2 minutes.
- Roll dough to about 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. round cutter. Roll scraps if desired. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Place muffins on pans; sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Heat an ungreased griddle or electric skillet to 325°. Cook muffins for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, turning every 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Split with a fork and toast if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 18, 2013
Do I have to use bread flour for this? I don't ever keep it on hand.
Jun 13, 2012
I've probably made this recipe a dozen times so far. I've made three dozen just today. Sooooo easy and soooo tasty I do my dough in the bread machine. How easy is that ! Thank You so much for sharing this recipe. It's a keeper. Rockland Baker
Mar 4, 2011
These had a really good taste and were easy to mix up. However, I didn't really taste the cheese - may be because I grated the cheese finely. Nice recipe and I will make again.