Sourdough English Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 20 min.
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Sourdough Starter
- 1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, divided
- Butter, jam or honey
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, water and Sourdough Starter. Cover and let stand overnight.
- Combine the milk powder, sugar, salt and 1/2 cup flour. Add to sour dough mixture; mix well. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and no longer sticky, about 2-3 minutes, adding more flour if needed.
- Roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. round cookie cutter. Greased baking sheets and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Place muffins 2 in. apart on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle remaining cornmeal over muffin tops. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- In a lightly greased griddle or electric skillet, cook muffins at 275° for 10 minutes. Turn and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Split with a sharp knife or a fork and toast if desired. Serve with butter, jam or honey.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 27, 2020
Made these today using my sourdough discard. They are very tasty, and relatively easy to make. I did have a little trial and error on the cooking, but once I figured it out, it was a breeze! VFE
Nov 6, 2016
May I have another glass of English Muffin please. ATTENTION ALL PERSONNEL......RUN....do not walk away from this recipe. Unless you drink English Muffins. I've tried the recipe twice and the dough is just plain too wet. They do not rise. Go on to another recipe.
May 29, 2011
I've had this recipe for years and have just begun making and using my Sourdough Starter again. I use 1 cup milk (1%), but everything else is the same. Delish!!