Apple Cheddar Muffins
If you like tart apples and cheese, you'll love these moist, merry muffins. My family insists I make them for the holiday, but they're so easy to fix that I often whip up a batch or two on camping and canoe trips as well.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. In a small bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 222 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Apple Cheddar Muffins in Country Woman Christmas 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.