Cream Cheese Carrot Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground allspice, cloves and nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Place carrots in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices. In a small bowl, whisk the pureed carrots, egg and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups one-third full. In a small bowl, beat the filling ingredients until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the center of each muffin. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 288 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 11, 2014
this is tooo dry... only one egg... I through it away... discusting...!!
Dec 2, 2012
We loved these! We also got a layer rather than a center, but they are tasty anyway. Next time, I think I'm going to lightly swirl the filling in rather than just drop it. Thanks for the recipe!
Sep 16, 2011
My family loved these. We got "the layer" but did not care. It's hard to decide if these are breakfast or dessert!
Apr 10, 2011
I have made other muffins w/ cream cheese in the middle & in order to get a "center" of cream cheese instead of a layer, the cream cheese needs to be cold and solid. If the batter is sweet enough, you can just take a melon baller and drop the cold, solid cheese into the middle, without having to soften it and add sugar/egg like this recipe calls for. It will stay in that shape and give you better results.
Apr 8, 2011
I'm wondering if I did something wrong or my ingredients were wonky? Everyone seems to have loved this, but my husband and I found them very heavy. The carrot batter tasted inCREDible, so I figured I'd love them.I found the filled so strange though--it almost seems like some ingredients are missing. If TOH triple tests, or whatever, how does their filling look so perfect? It should have been a filling layer like the rest of us.Part of me wants to make these again to give them another chance cuz I really want them to be amazing, and a part of me says that would be a waste of money to try again. The filling layer was liquid-like, but I had expected it to be thick like icing.
Oct 27, 2010
Tender, moist and delicious! Better cold, IMO.
Apr 23, 2010
my Family loves this recipe and I do not even add the cram cheese. I add raisins insetd.
Nov 13, 2009
These were awesome! As many other readers have mentioned I too had problems with the filling looking more like a layer. I think the next time I will fill a piping bag and squeeze the filling into the center of the batter.
Jul 28, 2009
Cream Cheese Carrot MuffinsI made these using shredded Carrots, with Crushed Pinapple to make 2 cups, so GOOD I also added Raisins!
Jul 21, 2009
I have same question about carb count, however, I do not use insulin pump. Thank you.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.