English Muffin Pizza Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 6 English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, brown sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add the peppers, onion, mushrooms and seasonings; cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Top each muffin half with 2 tablespoons meat sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese melts and filling is hot. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 192 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 6, 2017
This was easy and versatile. I didn't have sausage so I used 2 lbs ground beef. Because I wasn't using the sausage I felt like I needed to add additional seasoning, I used 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon of fennel seed (to bring out that yummy pizza sauce flavor), 1 tablespoons paprika, 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. I also added a can of tomato sauce because it was too dry with just the tomato paste. Topped with fresh sliced mozzarella and broiled it was a hit!
Feb 4, 2011
Great! Even my 1 year old ate a few bites..so in my mind this is a def. winner. I also printed out the Pizza English Muffins recipe at the same time and did incorporate some of that recipe - added a little tomato paste and water as it seemed to need to be more saucy. Also, for the sausage I used ground turkey sausage.