Italian Joes on Texas Toast
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (11-1/4 ounces) frozen garlic Texas toast
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with green pepper, onion and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is thickened, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place Texas toast on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. pan; bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture onto toast; top with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 open-faced sandwich: 353 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 626mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Dec 12, 2019
I used a quality jar sauce. These little guys are even more delicious than they are cute! Kids would love helping put them together! A definite keeper!
Nov 16, 2019
We had this delicious recipe tonight. I used the Garlic Texas Toast and halved the recipe for the two of us. I used the whole can of tomatoes (I used the Italian style stewed tomatoes) and omitted the tomato paste. After reading some of the reviews, I sprinkled Italian seasoning generously over all. Nothing bland about this dish. We cleaned our plates. We will have this again. Volunteer Field Editor
Dec 21, 2018
I like the concept but it was a little bland. Perhaps more salt...
Feb 10, 2018
These were just okay. Probably won't make again.
Jan 11, 2018
I cheated and just used jarred pizza sauce. Super easy and fast to throw together for a quick meal. I did add just a splash of red wine to the sauce.
Dec 27, 2017
Easy main dish. It doesn't have quite the flavor that some of my other sloppy joe recipes have but they are good. Now that it is cold, this will pair nicely with soup.
Aug 27, 2017
Pretty good! Needs a little more seasoning, but a good dish overall.
Aug 26, 2017
I loved this new take on sloppy Joes and the family thought this was fun too. Will definitely make again.
Aug 23, 2017
Great little bite to have with salad or use for appetizers!
Aug 15, 2017
Really liked the ease of this recipe. I did add a smidge of Italian seasoning to give a little more flavor. Add a salad with this and your family will love it.