Grandma’s Molasses Bread
"We converted some bread recipes from my husband's grandmother for use in the bread machine," writes Jeannie Thomas, Kokomo, Indiana. "This dark, slightly sweet bread is great toasted."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).