Cheesy Corn Spoon Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute until tender. Set aside.
- Beat eggs; add sour cream, both cans of corn, salt and pepper. Stir in cornbread mix just until blended. Mince 1 jalapeno pepper; fold into corn mixture with sauteed onion and 1-1/2 cups of cheese.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes; cool slightly. Slice remaining jalapeno; sprinkle over dish.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 266 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 8, 2018
I love my favorites list is now in alphabetcial order. THANKS to whoever is responsible
Jul 28, 2018
I have made this many times, its my go too for pot-luck dinners. So yummy.
Feb 5, 2018
I've made this dish 2 different times and every time it's a HUGE hit! I have to double the recipe. I do one with lots of hot peppers and one without. I highly recommend it and it's great that you can put it all together the day before cook later. LOVE IT!
Nov 12, 2017
Can I make this the day before?
Apr 23, 2017
I substitute a small (4oz) can of mild chopped green chillies instead of the jalapeno. Now this has become a requested special occasion side dish at our house!
Mar 15, 2015
Made several times, so creamy and nice addition to Mexican themed meal. Not spicy, sometimes I add more jalape?o for more of a kick.
Nov 7, 2011
I was dissappointed with this recipe; made it for a mexican themed party. It didn't have the great flavor that I was expecting.
Dec 20, 2010
Oct 26, 2010
I've made this several times now and it's one of my family's favorite dishes. Everybody I make it for loves it. Highly recommend!
Mar 22, 2010
Oh my goodness, this is amazingly delicious! I see why you need a shallow pan, because mine wasnt and it took longer to cook in the middle, but it was DELICIOUS!